[mythtv-users] The benefits of freestyle in conjunction with a pvr-350?

IvanK. chepati at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 5 13:43:50 EST 2003

Hi all,

I'm putting a second card in my system.  I already have a 350 that does the
decoding and the tv-out.  The new card is a freestyle that has, as of yet, an
unsupported decoder chip.  The question is: once ivtv supports freestyle's
decoder, would that offer any improvements above and beyond the decoding
support the pvr-350 provides?

My understanding is that as long as I'm capturing in mpeg2 on the freestyle,
the stream will be piped through pvr-350's buffer, which will in turn use
pvr-350's decoding chip, thus the presence of a decoding chip on the
freestyle is of little consequence (in this scenario).  Is that so?

Thanks,
IvanK.