[mythtv-users] Trying again: Bad studdering when video fades toblack, or in all white frames

Buchanan, Paul Paul.Buchanan at thomson.com
Thu Dec 4 13:25:50 EST 2003

On Thursday, December 04, 2003 11:59 AM,
mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org wrote:
> Hey Tim,
>
> I haven't tried messing with the resolution settings yet, but I'll
> play around with that.  I'm using the svideo from my directv receiver
> as well, so
> it sounds like we're the same on that.  This is definitely a new
> problem for me though as I never experienced this prior to version
> .12.
>
> I can't remember if it was you or someone else, but I've also noticed
> that adjusting the contrast or brightness way down will make the
> studdering during black or white screens much worse.  Turning it up
> makes it a bit better, but I don't want to distort the image too much
> to just try and make it stop.
>
> You want to really see it studder watch the LBX(?) version of the
> matrix on PVP.  Really dark programs (expecially with the widescreen
> format black adding to it) pretty much studder all the way through.
>
> Recap of specifics:
> No studdering with using mplayer to watch recordings that myth has
> made.
> No studdering using mplayer to stream directly from /var/video
> Happens regardless of whether I'm watching live tv, watching a
> recording, or doing some combination of the two.  (Only when using
> myth frontend as the player).
>
> joshua
>
> On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 09:52:29AM -0600, Tim wrote:
>> I still don't have a real answer, just another observation from my
>> setup. It seems to be somewhat capture resolution dependent also.  I
>> was playing around last night with lowering the horinzontal res
>> after reading  the "Resolution" thread yesterday and when I changed
>> it to 352x480 I started studdering bad.  Resetting to either 640x480
>> or 720x480 brought it back inline to the little studder I have.
>>
>> Also, what input are you using?  I'm using svideo from a directv
>> reciever, composite is the same.  I don't know about the actual
>> tuner since I don't use that much.

I don't have any answers to this problem, but I wanted to point out that I
am experiencing this as well.

> Recap of specifics:
> No stuttering with using mplayer to watch recordings that myth has
> made.
> No stuttering using mplayer to stream directly from /var/video
> Happens regardless of whether I'm watching live tv, watching a
> recording, or doing some combination of the two.  (Only when using
> myth frontend as the player).

I also had not had the stuttering before version .12.  I am also
experiencing odd frame blips.  It looks somewhat like a frame prior to the
one just displayed is thrown in the mix.  Again, this only happens when the
recordings from y pvr-250 are viewed with Myth as the player.

Paul