[mythtv-users] Will I be able to watch tv and record another

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Thu Dec 4 08:48:19 EST 2003

> If I see a promo, or a review or mention of something that
> might be mildly interesting, I save and exit (note: can't do
> this in the ring buffer :) go add a record rule then go back
> to what I was watching. I don't need to remember what night,

Ditto everything Bruce said in his in-depth description especially
the LiveTV part.

I also make very good use of the "Max Episodes to Record" and
"Auto Expire" per-recording settings to keep my hard drive from filling
up.  There's always 1 episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000
and Tales From The Crypt waiting for me in case I get in the mood to
watch one, but every episode of CSI gets recorded whether it's the new
episodes or the reruns coming on SpikeTV.  If the drive gets close to
filling up, then the MST3k or Tales From The Crypt (or something else
older but unimportant) gets auto-expired and there's room to record that
new episode of CSI.  I keep my wife happy by always having a few of
her TLC channel shows recorded, but if she falls behind in watching
them, then no more than 5 half-hour episodes of each are recorded.

We keep the TV set to Line-IN watching Myth at least 95% of the time
and I never use LiveTV in Myth except for testing things.

--

Chris