[mythtv-users] Will I be able to watch tv and record another channel with Directv

fsquires fsquires at fastmail.fm
Wed Dec 3 14:22:47 EST 2003

On Dec 3, 2003, at 11:47 AM, Ray Olszewski wrote:

> At 08:26 AM 12/3/2003 -0800, peace bwitchu wrote:
>> I have ordere most of my parts for this project and am
>> starting to plan this setup out.  I have a sony
>> directv setup with 2 sets of rca outs one for the tv
>> and one for vcr.  Will I be able to watch one channel
>> on directv and record another with only one video
>> capture card?  I have never really messed around with
>> my directv till now.  Any thought s or experience
>> welcomed.
>
> Please forgive me if I am misinterpreting your description ... but the
> issue you face, as I read it, is in the number of video *sources*, not
> the number of capture cards in the Myth host.
>
> You say the "sony directv setup" is a box with 2 sets of outputs. Can
> you *now* have different channels on those two sets of outputs? (That
> is, can you record one show on the VCR while watching a different show
> on the TV?)
>
> If the answer is Yes, then you will still be able to do so with your
> Myth box, though the Myth box itself will only do one of these tasks
> (since it has only one vidcap card).
>
> If the answer is No, then adding a Myth box to this setup will not
> increase the number of different shows you can receive at the same
> time.
>
> The best way to think of the Myth host, in the context you describe,
> is as a direct replacement for your VCR. Approach it that way and you
> should be able to figure out what the new setup can do on your own.
> (You may still need help with implementation details, such as a way
> for the Myth host to tell the DirecTV box to change channels.)

One Thing you should realize is that you'll rarely ever want to do this
(at least that's what I've found), because you can watch a recorded
show and record another at the same time (provided you have the CPU
power for it).  Live TV is mostly a thing of the past for me, except
maybe sports and some HD stuff.