[mythtv-users] Resolution

J. Lucha jim at lucha-family.org
Wed Dec 3 12:34:29 EST 2003

Ok, I have just been looking over the archives over the last few days,
and just when I thought I was figuring things out, this thread comes along.

I've been using 352x240 MPEG and have been happy with it for TV viewing.

But now I want to delve into the archiving aspect with nuvexport, and
haven't been having much success, I think because of the settings I've
been using for the capture profile.

When I look at peoples posts regarding nuvexport and doing the same
things I want to do, I'm totally confused because almost all of them
have a pvr-250/350 and its hardware encoding.  It appears to be easier
to do the conversion with the native format produced by this card.  But
because of my great luck, I'm using software encoding (the pvr's came
out about 2 1/2 weeks after I bought my capture card).

I'm rambling..

Anyways, what I want to do for the most part is just do what we've been
doing, and just record and watch shows.  The 352x240 was perfect on the
TV and such I have.  Now, very rarely, I want to archive a recording.

What I've gathered is in NTSC VCD's are at 352x240, SVCD's at 480x480,
and DVD's are at 720x480.

I tried changing my capture settings to 480x480.  When making SVCD's
using nuvexport, both my DVD players reject it.  Nuvexport does ask a
few questions when I select this output format, and so I may be
answering them incorrectly.

When I use the VCD option of nuvexport, I don't get prompted with any
question I can screw up :) .  But when I play the created VCD on either
of my players, it is playing to fast.  Actually, I think the video is
playing at the proper speed, but the sound is too fast.

Since Nuvexport doesn't have a DVD option, I chose to use the DivX
output to make the AVI file.  I was going to then use one of those
AVI-->DVD programs, but scratched that when I viewed the AVI file.
Sound was fine, but the video was very pixelated.
Again, Nuvexport prompts for some questions that I'm probably answering
incorrectly.  It prompts for resolution, which I changed from the
defaults and made them the 480x480 that Myth originally captured at.  It
also asks for some audio bitrates that I left at the default.

Ultimately I would like to record to DVD since it will hold more than a
two hour show.

So which resolution, bitrate, and audio settings for MPEG4 software
encoding should I use in my capture profile that would allow me to
successfully archive with nuvexport?

And off this topic, how should I use nuvexport?  Should I be using the
DivX option to make the AVI file, and then convert that to the
appropriate format?  If I do that, should I let nuvexport rencode the
file to the 352x240 it defaults too, or change those values to match the
profile settings Myth recorded with?

Sorry, with so many people doing such a wide variety of things, I've
gotten myself totally confused.

-Jim