[mythtv-users] Mythmusic food for thought

Wed Dec 3 11:36:38 EST 2003

> >> I'm currently sitting at around 11,000 tracks
> >> and it's a pain to scroll this, even *with* the number keys.
> >
> >I'm not suprised!  Why don't you categorise them by Artist and
> >Album?  This would make things vastly easier, no?
>
> They are.
>
> Even scrolling the Artist names in one big list is painful on my thumb and
> the down arrow of my remote ;-)  The letters 'A', 'M', 'T', 'S', 'R', etc.
> seem to be quite popular first letters of artist names.  Getting to the
> bottom of one of those "sections" can sometimes take 20 button-presses or
> more.  I really do need to map page_up/page_down as suggested earlier, that
> would probably help.  I'm just of the opinion that a tree view doesn't lend
> itself well to a good non-computer, no-mouse interface.  The categorization
> is fine... it's the tree I don't like.  I think stationery "boxes" which
> change content are better.  For instance, I always use the "Video List" of
> mythvideo, because I have lots of video clips and use a nice categorized
> directory structure.  It's the fact that the content-panes change with the
> navigation, *rather* than the all of the content being all in one pane (and
> in a tree), that I like.  It's a subtle difference but it seems (to me
> anyway) to make for a easier, faster, and more intuitive interface.

I don't understand where you are going with this.  It is going to take just as many button pushes to navigate hierachical content whether you use two panes or just a single tree (assuming the same hierarchy).  The two things are identical, it's just a visual difference....

The issue is not the tree control it's how you setup your hierarchy - no?

In any case even with 50,000 items it only takes me one button push to get through them all, ie just hold down the button and it scrolls on its own.  As I said to jump a load of screens I just use Page Down...

Also, in case you missed your own point, "I have a lot of artists under T"... and "it sometimes takes 20 button pushes", well just to remind you that "T" is the 20th letter of the alphabet, and you then need to scroll through all those "T" artists to get to the one you want.... So, I don't buy your system either to be honest - I can't see that it will get you below 20 button pushes to find a random artist starting with "T".

Anyway, as I said, I only have around 200 albums ripped so it's still really fast for me to get around.  I think you have a few more.