[mythtv-users] Free AMD XP2000 Sent to your door.

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Wed Dec 3 05:52:35 EST 2003

mythtv wrote:
> So I solved number 1&2 below, except when I mute line in, I can barely hear
> the audio that is supposed to sync with the video.
> When I un-mute, I hear 2 audios loud and clear,1-The synced audio 2-the two
> second delayed audio. How can I hear the Audio that is synced to the show,
> loud and clear?

The "Capture" volume is a separate slider than the volume for
the Line to speaker. Mute Line and turn up to vol on the slider
named "Capture". Some cards, like the SB Live! also have
capture sliders for specific input sources. I need to turn up
both "AC97 Cap" and "Capture" to get a normal volume.

> #2 was due to max and min bitrate sliders being way too high. The higher it
> goes, the more pixels.
> Anyone have the default settings that originally were set in myth?

Defaults are 2,15,3. The 3 for the difference never needs to
be changed. The "severe consequences" warning was after several
people shot themselves in the foot and I'd actually toned this
down from an even nastier message by mdz =). If these values
are out of line for the bitrate, bad things happen. Think of
these as boundary markers. They don't make the picture better,
they tell the encoder when to believe things are out of whack.

If you raise the bitrate, you can use proportionally lower numbers
for the min. Here is what I currently use for my software profiles

Default 480x480 4000 scaled 2,9,3
Live TV 400x480 5000 scaled 1,6,3
High    544x480 5500 scaled 1,6,3
Low     352x480 2700 scaled 2,15,3, high-quality encoding

>>3) How I can convert the .nuv files MPEG4 and rtJPEG into mpeg2 DVD
>>quality files.

I hope you mean "resolution". There is no way to make broadcast
television into DVD "quality". However, you can transcode the
files to mpeg2 files but they won't be better than the recording.

>>4) How I can get the picture out of my nvidia mx440 to my TV.

If your nvidia card has an s-video TV-out and your TV has an
s-video in, simply plug it in and follow the README that comes
with the Linux drivers from www.nvidia.com . Use the 4363 version.
Most of the important stuff goes in the device section for the
video card in your XF86Config-4

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Generic Video Card"
        Driver          "nvidia"
        Option          "TVOverScan" "0.7"
        Option          "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
        Option          "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
        Option          "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
        Option          "RenderAccel" "1"
        Option          "NoLogo" "true"
EndSection

>>5) Remote control of mythtv either through the tv, or some other way(My
>>linux is in the basement, directly beneath the TVin the living room).

[If the computer is in another room, you are going to want
to have keyboard access from the TV room one way or another.
You won't want to walk downstairs every time you need to hit
a key on the keyboard.]

I use wireless IR keyboards and learning remote controls. I
teach the remote "P" from the keyboard for the pause button,
"]" for volume up, 1 is, well, 1, etc. The remote then sends
what appear to be keyboard keystrokes to the keyboard's IR
receiver. No need for LIRC and I can set buttons on the remote
to do other things beyond just controlling myth.

--  bjm