[mythtv-users] The ultimate MythTV frontend: Roku HD1000

mythtv at cheema.com mythtv at cheema.com
Wed Dec 3 02:49:45 EST 2003

The story about this product was on Slashdot today.  Here is some
info for those who missed it:

http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT5269795535.html
&
http://www.rokulabs.com/

Man, with the SDK scheduled to be released this month, this system
has the potential to be a kick ass Myth front-end.  Here are some
of the cool features:

- Silent.  No moving parts at all.
- Can decode High definition streams.
- 10/100 ethernet port.
- Runs Linux.
- SDK encourages hacking the box.
- Slim.  This thing is *small*.

The suggested retail price is currently $499.  But with time it will
come down and the street price will be very attractive.  I have my big
bulky and noisy Myth backend system in the garage where it can continue
to generate noise.  And I can sprinkle these silent little systems around
the house, once it is setup to work with Myth backends.

Some on Slashdot compared it to a hacked Xbox, but this thing can actually
play high def streams, unlike an Xbox and also it is not noisy like an Xbox.

What do you guys think?

-Cheema