[mythtv-users] Terrible MPEG4 Quality at 8000 Bit Rate

Seth Lake caver at verizon.net
Tue Dec 2 22:16:22 EST 2003

ahh, your doing it on the fly.  yes, i capture to mpg2 and then mpg4
transcode to archive stuff.  mine is set to 800b/r with a (i think) 1k max.
mpg4 is much more cpu intensive then mpg2, and mpg4 looks a whole lot better
when the encoder can look at the whole clip and get a feel for the movie (it
can look ahead and encode based on later video, it can also do double or
triple pass encode so that it looks better).  i'm not sure how myth's
transcode works, but this is how the major DVD rippers get such a
nice-looking final product, they start with the .VOB which is pretty much
just a plain mpg2.

what's ur cpu and other comp specs?  do you have the high-quality flags set
for mpg4 (i wouldn't think this would matter too much at 8k)?  do you have
pulldown (de-interlacing) and/or jitter control on?  (do they matter
capturing or just playback?)

try capturing to an mpg2 then transcoding to mpg4.