[mythtv-users] Resolution

Douglas Phillipson dougp at intermind.net
Tue Dec 2 20:48:01 EST 2003

   James L. Paul wrote:

> On Tuesday 02 December 2003 08:56, Douglas Phillipson wrote:
>
>>I guess I don't understand the resolution settings.  I change them and
>>don't see any difference in video.  What am I missing?
>

> That's a good thing. Consumer TV displays are pretty low resolution devices,
> so without knowing how low you set yours it's hard to say what you are
> missing. :)
>
> VHS is generally accepted to be equivalent to 352x240 if there are no
> noticeable compression artifacts. SVHS is generally 352x480. If your
> resolution is higher than this and you are using a high enough bitrate to
> avoid compression artifacts, then it's entirely likely that the difference in
> the results is very subtle.
>
> The TV out quality of most video cards isn't usually good enough to
> distinguish the subtle differences, and scaling the video on a computer
> monitor doesn't give a true representation of the video quality.
>
> My goal is to use the lowest resolution and bitrate I can without noticing a
> quality drop. For me and my dvd player, that happens to be MPEG2 1/2 D1, so I
> use 352x240 at about 2500k bitrate. (Which also happens to be perfect for CVD
> and DVD which my standalone player works great with.)
>
> Unless you set the bitrate or resolution too low, you probably aren't going to
> see big differences in quality. You will see big differences in file size
> though! :)
>

>>DSP

I have all my software encoder settings set at 480x480, pretty much the
default.  I do have a problem with the video slowing down and the audio
chattering after 5 or ten minutes.  Might these resolutions have
something to do with it?  I can stop and restart play and all is fine
for another while.  I'm not running out of memory and my CPU is a 5% or
so so it shouldn't be a CPU speed issue.  I have noticed the CPU load
seems to go up when it starts to happen but it never gets maxed out.  I
have a Athlon 2200+ machine with a WinTV Go card, Redhat 9 and installed
via apt.

Regards  and thanks for a great program

DSP