[mythtv-users] Myth Ideas

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 2 10:28:28 EST 2003

On Monday 01 December 2003 21:16, John Morris wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Sam Byrne wrote:
> > Catch 22: "I want to have the right to use my purchased media the
> > way I choose."
> > and
> > "I can't convince the Media conglomerates to pay attention to me
> > while still paying for the media."
>
> At the risk of going way off topic here......
>
> I do it by voting with my wallet.  I find many DVD's a fair bargain,
> especially season box sets of TV shows I like.  So I buy the heck out
> of B5, Futurama, South Park, etc.  But I haven't bought an audio CD
> in over a year.  They aren't sold at an attractive pricepoint so I
> leave em on the shelf.  Of course since I also haven't found much new
> music I would want to buy for $5/disc I haven't been P2P downloading
> much either, but that's just my inner 'ol fart talking.

Though the RIAA would like everyone to think otherwise, the ability to
rip my audio CDs into digital format has actually caused me to increase
my spending on CDs.  I still tend to wait for sales & bargains, because
they are dreadfully overpriced otherwise, but before MythMusic and
things like iPod, etc., it was just too much of a PITA to lug any
decent selection of CDs around -- or even find the one I wanted in the
mess that is my audio cabinet :-).  Now, when I'm home, I put my entire
collection on 'Random' on MythMusic, and I take my 30GB FireWire/USB
drive with me to work with all of my music.  I'm much more inclined to
listen to a lot of music and therefore want to buy more now that I have
it all at my fingertips.

-JAC