[mythtv-users] Avermedia works

Jason Schloer schloer.jason at tangoinc.com
Tue Dec 2 10:16:34 EST 2003

So I got the Avermedia card working last night, two of them to be exact. The
picture quality looks just fine to me. I know some people have complained,
but it looks better than what I was getting with my tv wonder VE, and I
haven't even played with the color/picture controls at all yet. Anyway, I'm
now enjoying being able to record more than one show at a time. It's very
nice to have that capability finally. I'll probably add the pcHDTV card back
in soon to see if I can get them playing nicely. Then I may throw the VE
back in just for grins, but I doubt it. Causes too many problems using the
line in for audio. Maybe when I go to the true backend/frontend setup..

For those of you trying to get it to work, I did have trouble with
hauppauge's newest firmware. I had to use the pvr250_17_21226.exe driver
instead. Switching to that made everything work fine. You should be able to
download it from hauppauge's site, just find the link for the newest driver
and replace the filename with the one I just mentioned.

Anyway, I do have one problem that you all may know the answer to quickly. I
can record multiple shows at a time now problem, and I can watch the feeds
with mplayer easily. However, when I try to watch live Tv it plays for 2 or
3 seconds and then freezes, it sometimes comes back for another second and
then it's dead for good. If I instead schedule a recording and watch it
concurrently it has no trouble at all. Any help would be greatly
appreciated. Can't wait to ply with it some more. Thanks in advance.

-Jason Schloer