[mythtv-users] Debugging myth components (was: re mythtvsetup hangs)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Tue Dec 2 03:33:58 EST 2003

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 10:40:54PM -0600, Paul Onley wrote:
> I chose the atrpms as finding and fixing all the dependencies was more
> that I can handle. but I don't see how I can make the debug version of
> mythtv without manually installing all the dependencies.

Uninstall the mythtv package you want to debug and build your own
component with debug information enabled (as by the howto). All you
have to make sure is that sometimes you need to set prefix to /usr to
match the rpms' locations.

If you remove packages listed a reversly depended on otheres
(e.g. mythtv-suite), you can --nodeps the rpm command and punch an
ugly hole in rpm's database. This hole will be fixed by a simply

apt-get -f install

when you have finished debugging.

For proper debugging, I recommend removing all of myth rpms, getting
CVS sources for myth and rebuilding those with debugging
enabled. There are good chances that your problem has already been
fixed.
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de