[mythtv-users] $500 Myth Box

Mark fairlane at springcom.com
Mon Dec 1 22:04:03 EST 2003

On Monday 01 December 2003 04:51 pm, Daragh Fitzpatrick wrote:
I did it for pretty close to $500.
Hardware list below:
AMD XP2500+ Barton core
EPOX 8KVA (i think)
512mb Kingston value ram
120gb WD special
Black DVD drive
Soundblaster Live! 5.1
Geforce 4 MX 440SE w/TVout svideo
SLK-800U heatsink with low speed 80mm fan.
Directron case (black, cheap)
Mandrake 9.1
Directron IR keyboard
WinTV 401 (already had)

Performance is very very good.  I can record MPEG4 544x480 4000 bitrate
on one channel and play back another stream at the same time, while only
using 50% of the CPU and even running KDE.  I haven't even optimized anything.
I expect I could play back a second stream or record a second stream without
any jumpiness if I put another card in, or built a second frontend.  Price was
about $550 six months ago.  I'm sure you could beat that now.