[mythtv-users] OSD slow with hardware decoding?

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Mon Dec 1 21:34:10 EST 2003

On Monday 01 December 2003 07:48 pm, Curtis Stanford wrote:
> I have finally got hardware mpeg2 decoding (CLE266) working with my EPIA
> M10000 box and, for the most part, it works pretty well. It cuts down CPU
> usage to 20-30% and allows me to watch higher resolutions and higher
> bitrates. The weird thing is that any OSD makes the video pause and stutter

 something terrible, especially when it's fading away.

> The OSD works much better using software decoding even though much less CPU
> is
 available. With 70-80% CPU available using hardware decoding does
> anyone have any ideas why the OSD suffers so badly? Is it a buggy driver or
> just the nature of the beast?

I just figured that the cle266 didn't like being updated very often with new
OSD frames and never really looked into it.  As I use a pvr-350 in my epia-m
box now, I doubt I'll be looking into it in the future.

> And, while I'm at it, why is the OSD black and white using hardware
> decoding?
 I've seen reference to the problem in the mailing list archives
> but haven't seen a reason why. Is this a dead end or is it something that
> needs a warm body to work on it?

The hardware is limited to 16 colors for the OSD.  16 shades of grey looks
best with that, 16 colors would look horrible.

Isaac