[mythtv-users] New Myth User Project - Advice Needed

Robert Currey avalonforest at centurytel.net
Mon Dec 1 15:13:45 EST 2003

> On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Jason Giddens wrote:
> >
> > - Which distribution is the best for a beginner on Linux?  Red Hat or
Gentoo?  I donā?Tt want to start a holy war, just tell me which one is the
best for a newbie.

> > - How hard is it to get this up and running?  My wife will want to know
when this will be working, and I want to be accurate with her

On debian it took me about half a day to apt-get everything and compile cvs
source ... with all the dependencies, it was surprisingly easy. Using
apt-get (and apt-cache search) made it a no brainer.

IMHO, I'd avoid RedHate ... I guess it boils down to which linux distro your
comfortable with. I'm curious if it would be as easy in Gentoo (no
experience with gentoo at all, just curious).

You said beginner ... is that linux beginner or mythtv beginner ...

Note ... my debian box was a fresh "woody"+2.4.22 kernel+Xfree86cvs

Rob