[mythtv-users] Game controller recommendations?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 1 01:39:30 EST 2003

On Sunday 30 November 2003 22:39, Joe Votour wrote:
> --- "Joseph A. Caputo" <jcaputo1 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > Does anybody out there who's using MythGame w/XMame
> > have any recommendations
> > on decent game controllers?  I'm not looking for
> > anything fancy; my
> > priorities are (in order): (1) price (2) number of
> > buttons (3) ease of
> > setup/kernel compatibility.  I saw a couple of basic
> > USB gamepads recently
> > for $5, but I held off because I wanted to do some
> > research first.
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > JAc
> >
> Well, first of all:
> 1. Do you have a gamepad port on your soundcard?
> 2. If so, are you able to get it working with Linux?
>
> I ask these questions because for the life of me, I
> couldn't get a gameport working with a CMI8738 onboard
> audio, or with a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz card.
> However, with the SoundBlaster Live 5.1 in my MythTV
> machine, I can get it working, no problem.
>
> In my area, there's a store called Surplus Computers
> (located in Santa Clara, CA), they sell some things at
> great prices.  Because I was able to get my gameport
> working, I was able to get some Microsoft Sidewinder
> gamepads for $5 each.  Best of all, the Linux
> Sidewinder driver allows for chaining the Sidewinders
> in digital mode, and they have 10 buttons each.
>
> -- Joe

Yeah, I do have a gameport.  Two, actually... one on my Hercules Fortissimo
III (CrystalSound 46xxx-based), plus my onboard CMI8738.  However, I've never
gotten the CMI8738 gameport working, and although I've had intermittent
success with the Fortissimo III gameport, it's likely that I'll be removing
that card to free up 2 slots (card + gameport header) for my 2 new AverMedia
M-179 cards that I'm currently waiting for.  So, I figured USB would be the
way to go.  But for $5, it may be worth gambling on getting my CMI8738
gameport working.

Thanks,

JAC