[mythtv-users] nuv -> svcd... FINALLY!

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Fri Aug 29 20:10:33 EDT 2003

> ok, this was going to be my thought.  it *should* be 72, but for some
> reason  my machine only works when I specify 53.

Ok, I think my computers are just whacked.  I tell them to read 53
bytes, they SAY they read 53 bytes, and produce a string that says it's
53 bytes long, but if I upack the string, I get an array with 72 entries
in it, and my file handle is essentially at position 72 (because the
next read works fine).  If I tell it to read 72 bytes, it reads
something wacky like 127 or 128, but like before acts as if it only read
72.

Anyway, since this happens on both of my redhat 9 machines, I'm forced
to believe that it's something wacky in redhat's version of perl, and
have implemented a workaround that shouldn't affect anyone else - I read
in 72 bytes, and then seek to the 72nd byte (which should do nothing on
machines that work properly, and will put the file pointer where it's
supposed to be on machines like mine that read more than they're told).
All of the other reads seem to work fine.

new version is at:

http://forevermore.net/myth/

And for those who are encoding, from the handful of encodes I've done
today, I've noticed that a quantisation of around 5 produces a little
under 400 megs for what was originally a half-hour show (thus, one hour
per cd).  You'll have to play with it, though, since we can't do
multipass to pick a specific average bitrate.

-Chris