[mythtv-users] Re: Recording sizes

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Aug 29 02:04:00 EDT 2003

On Friday, Aug 29, 2003, at 00:24 US/Pacific, Brian wrote:

>> I don't think he was asking why files were so large, per se. He was
>> asking why file sizes varied so much. Signal noise is a factor though.
>> The recordings aren't at a constant bit-rate; they are variable.
>> Though
>> the discrepancy between 19.5GB and 3.1GB (I assume they were both 1hr
>> long) is something to be concerned about. 19.5GB seems like an awful
>> lot, since I use a PVR-250, and I've never seen an hour show take much
>> more than 4GB...
>
> Thanks
> That is my point heh :)
> the difference between the two 1 hour shows is kinda insane

I'm going to have to assume Isaac is right on signal noise being what
is causing such large files, if you're using rtjpeg, like he surmised.

A few questions:

1) What card are you using for these captures?

2) What codec are you using?

3) Do the same channels constantly cause large files? (perhaps only
certain channels have dirty signals)

Not sure any of those answers will necessarily mean anything to anyone,
but they could help trigger a thought...

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...