[mythtv-users] hardware setup questions

Kurt Fleschner kfleschner at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 29 00:30:20 EDT 2003

Hi,
	I'm starting on a home theater project and I have some hardware
questions hopefully someone could answer, or point me in the right
direction. Right now I'm thinking of using a socket A based micro ATX
MB w/o onboard graphics, 512 M ram, 80GB drive, Radeon 9600, Hauppauge
WinTV-dbx (WINTV401). I'd like peoples ideas on what's necessary and
what's not in a home theater box. Is the TV out about equal on all
graphics cards? Any other hardware pointers you have?
	I have a little Shuttle-clone from iDot pc that has TV-out. Now, the
TV I currently have uses plain old RCA in jacks, not S-video or
composite, so when I hooked the little guy up to the TV using the RCA
it looked like poo, and I couldn't lower the res below 800 x 600 (which
looked like poo). Tying into the general hardware question, would you
recommend a separate video card for TV out or not, and if so, what type
of card would you recommend? If not, what would I be looking for in an
onboard chipset? And yes, I will be getting a TV with S-video in, so if
you think it's just an issue with connecting cables I'd like to hear
what you have to say on that too.
Looking forward to hearing from people!
Kurt