[mythtv-users] Re: Recording sizes

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Aug 28 19:08:55 EDT 2003

On Thursday, Isaac Richards wrote:

> On Thursday 28 August 2003 02:21 pm, Brian wrote:
>> I think I am missing something
>>

>> why do the file sizes of the recorded shows vary so much?
>>
>> Kung Fu: The Legend Continues (Don't laugh) records 1 hour at 3.1 gb,
>> which
>> is reasonable considering the file format...
>>
>> Junk Yard Mega Wars just recorded at 19.5gb!!
>>
>> What am I missing?
>>
>> Running Mythtv 0.11, no modules, pretty well stock settings
>
> If you're using rtjpeg at a higher-ish quality setting and have a noisy
> signal, you get large files.

I don't think he was asking why files were so large, per se. He was
asking why file sizes varied so much. Signal noise is a factor though.
The recordings aren't at a constant bit-rate; they are variable. Though
the discrepancy between 19.5GB and 3.1GB (I assume they were both 1hr
long) is something to be concerned about. 19.5GB seems like an awful
lot, since I use a PVR-250, and I've never seen an hour show take much
more than 4GB...

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE