[mythtv-users] possible to watch recordings from remote frontend?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 28 18:40:28 EDT 2003

Just curious, do your frontend and backend have the same hostname?  What
your seeing is what would happen if the backend thought it was talking to a
local frontend.  It determines this by comparing its local hostname with the
hostname supplied by the frontend. (Hint: look in the backend log for the
line with " adding <hostname> as a player"

Also, in addition to check the 'real' hostname of each machine, check the
'Myth' hostname in mysql.txt (either in ~/.mythtv/ or
/usr/local/share/mythtv).  One problem could be if your
/usr/local/share/mythtv directory is shared between the two machines,  and
the LocalHostName line is uncommented.  Either comment the line out, or
better yet, copy the file to ~/.mythtv/ on each machine (for the myth user)
and get rid of the copy in /usr/local/share/mythtv.

-JAC