[mythtv-users] question regarding mythtv connect to database

jose rubio debian at nc.rr.com
Thu Aug 28 12:03:40 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 08:53, andre wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new with mythtv (seems to be great) but I get stuck with the
> following:
>
> mythtv
> Unable to connect to database!
> Driver error was [1/-1]:
> QMYSQL3: Unable to connect
> Database error was:
> Access denied for user: 'mythtv at localhost' (Using password: YES)
>
> couldn't open db

I had the same problem.  The cause is that the password that Mythtv is
using and the one that mysql is expecting are not the same.

Now to fix it.  The password the Mythtv uses is stored in a file called
mysql.txt... note that there are several of this files ($ locate
mysql.txt), one of them is under your /etc/ directory and it is
encoded.  Now look into one of the other files (which are not encoded)
and you'll find out what the password is.

Next go into mysql as root and change the password for user mythtv to
the correct value.  (I don't remember what the syntax is but you can
look it up...)

Another thing that could be causing you problems is that you may (as I
did) have more than one user named mythtv under mysql, but with diferent
"host" values.  Run this as root and see:

mysql> use mysql;
mysql> select * from user;

if you have more than one user named mythtv then I recommend you delete
them all and then insert just one with the correct values...

hope this helped,

-jose-