[mythtv-users] alsa support in myth (was: Latest atrpms kernel ...)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Thu Aug 28 11:48:54 EDT 2003

Hi,

taking this to the list.

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 07:42:39PM -0400, Michael Novich wrote:
> Ok, its almost done. I found an update statement to set mythtv to use
> alsa, but alas, alsa is not compiled as an option into the myth distro
> available through apt-get. Any idea why?  That's the complain that comes
> up when trying to play video.

This request reappears every now and then. Lately Paul (Cced) checked
out the situation, but he finally suggested to not include the ALSA
patch (or activation?) for now in the rpms, as it didn't improve his
situation.

I don't know, what the benefits of the native ALSA support really are
(probably less overhead and better latency I suppose), but usually
alsa in mythtv is not considered as a necessity.

If the patch/activation has no drawbacks (e.g. not-ALSA supported
soundcard should still work) I'd be happy to include it, but since
Isaac did not with 0.11, it sounds maybe like being premature.

> Now, before I used the update statement, I got a black screen, now I see
> the video, but no audio. I asume the audio is the problem and I hope the
> s-video out on the motherboard is working right.

I forgot what your hardware was. If this is ivtv based, it sounds like
some known problem which went away with the latest CVS version (rpm
packaged).
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de