[mythtv-users] Re: pcHDTV and HDTV

Brandon Beattie bbeattie-maillist at linkexplorer.com
Wed Aug 27 12:32:04 EDT 2003

I'd agree 64 bit is overkill.  Why spend the extra money when you don't
need to?  If I had that type of money I would build a dual P4 or AMD
and then spend the rest on hard drives to do software raid.  8 250GB
drives would be much nicer to have than a 64 bit system.  The only
problem facing us in HDTV's in the future will be disk space.  Current
processors are more than enough, and the _only_ reason you would need 2
CPU's is if you had 4 cards in a system, recording 20 shows a day and
wanting to transcode them to other formats (mpeg4 maybe to save disk
space).  Otherwise a single CPU and 8 250GB drives would be enough if
you don't ever transcode.  And anything over 3Ghz isn't needed for a
HTPC.  (Don't quote me on this in a year. ;)

A 64 bit system will give you more bandwidth, but you don't need it.
Current systems can easily support 4 40Mb (ATSC streams are 20Mb to
40Mb, common is 25Mb currently).  So if you have 160Mb/s your only
holdup will be writing to disk, not you BUS -- and thus why I'd get
software raid on 8 drives.. Space and writing ability.

You could even use a 486 with a software raid for recording 4 HD streams
at once.  (Possibly, havn't checked it's max pci bandwidth).  And even
though you can use a 1.2Ghz and hardware decoding I am against it
because you lose OSD and to e honest, I'm less than impressed with the
video quality of the mpeg2 decoder on nvidia cards.  Upscaling an image
looks terrible, very pixelized.  Using software decoding you can improve
the quality some atleast.  So 2.4Ghz is a good CPU for a frontend only
system.

Why finance a skyscaper when all you need is a home?  -- Don't waste
your money on things you don't need.

--Brandon