[mythtv-users] Re: MSI MX440SE-T and Overscan

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Aug 27 02:44:36 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, Jose wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 22:08, Roy Hooper wrote:
>>
>> I am getting pretty tired of trying to get a top quality TV-Out signal
>> for NTSC+Svideo.
>>
>> I've tried:
>> - XFree 4.2.0 + nvidia's
>> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-4496.html driver
>> - XFree 4.2.2
>> - XFree 4.3.0
>> - I've tried making nvtv work
>> - The only thing i've not tried is using windows drivers on the card
>> don't have windows on the machine.
>> - I've tried 800x600, 640x480 and some other modes.
>>
>> Always the same result.  Bands at the top and bottom of the screen.
>> There's always also some interlace flicker on the thin lines in any of
>> the MythTV UI...
>>
> I didn't thing that card supported overscan...  I could be wrong.  Have
> you tried nvtv?

nvtv is for older cards. And yes Jose, you are wrong. All GeForce
4-series cards and newer support overscan with the nvidia driver. (Read
their docs). I've used overscan with a number of 4MX cards now.

So Roy, have you actually tried using overscan w/the nvidia driver?
I've had outstanding video quality w/S-Video out to a 47" HDTV from a
number of GeForce 4 MX cards (and a Ti 4400), all utilizing overscan
w/the nvidia driver. The only card I had bad results with was a crappy
Jaton one, which produced a noticeable moire on screen. The PNY,
Chaintech and MSI cards I've used have been excellent. Not sure what to
tell you on the interlace flicker...

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE