[mythtv-users] harddrive suggestions?

Jack R. Hyde jr at jrh.net
Tue Aug 26 22:34:05 EDT 2003

I have just about every type of hard drive running in my house about now,
and none of them require active cooling minus the original Seagate 7200rpm.
In a slight twist the newer Seagate Barracuda 4 & 5's are easily the
quietest and coolest drives I know of. They make my WD JBs (80's, 100's,
120's) sound like a jet engine on fire, and I previously thought they where
fairly quiet. They are not as fast as the WD JBs but the performance
difference is really worth it when you hear, or fail to hear, how quiet they
are.

The best place for this information is www.storagereview.com, they have
tests for most hard drives usually including sound and heat measurements.