[mythtv-users] can I use xine (VeXP) instead of mplayer in myth?

and hons at rcn.com
Tue Aug 26 21:23:05 EDT 2003

Thanks Joseph for the detailed explanation. -and everyone else for
their friendly feedback.

I'm sorry if I'm really dense and apologize it I haven't understood the
previous feedback, it just wasn't clear to me from the feedback, the
documentation or the list that that MythTV uses it's own code for the
TV playback and I was therefore just assuming it was using a separate
player like mythvideo and mythdvd does. I now understand much better
how some of the myth internal work and that mythtv is not just a really
nice and complete user experience on top of an existing player.

As to my asking about VeXP, the benefits of using hardware mpg
acceleration is pretty obvious to all of us, but I also understand that
not everyone is using the epia board (from the sound in the list it's a
minority), so I would not presume to ask the probably quite large
effort (unless via will give access to their mpg code) be put into this
specific hardware as I'm personally not able to do it.

Maybe we are having a cultural conflict here, because I'm only asking
out of interest as to capabilities, use and functionality and
absolutely not to complain about the excellent work that has been
created (one that I certainly wouldn't be able to make myself!).

On the other hand. How am I  or anyone else to know that something
can't be done without asking? -the answer could just as likely have
been that I just had to change something in a configuration or make
file.

rgds
anders