[mythtv-users] Problems Galore - Could it be hardware?

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Tue Aug 26 20:35:17 EDT 2003

At 03:29 PM 8/26/2003 -0700, Reza Naima wrote:
>I'm still experiencing all kinds of problems, and I think I should deal
>with the possibility that it's a hardware issue.
[details deleted]

Well, if you at least want to eliminate Myth as a souce of the problem,
there are three things you should do.

1. Verify that you can watch true (not buffered) live TV outside Myth.
xawtv is the usual test app for this.

2. Verify that you can record video outside Myth. You have several choices
here: vcr/avifile, mencoder, and ffmpeg come quickly to mind.

3. Verify that you can playback video outside Myth. The obvious candidates
are mplayer and xine.

If all this stuff works properly, then I'd look for a Myth-specific
problem. If some of it turns up problems, the details may help you pinpoint
the source of the problem. (From what I've read here on this list, a
candidate source you may not have considered carefully enough is ALSA.)

I'm refraining from mentioning a lot of "obvous" hardware possibilities,
like DMA problems, because I assume this problem has gone on long enough
that you've done all the basic checks.