[mythtv-users] wireless keyboard/mouse combo or other solution?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 26 17:15:19 EDT 2003

Well, in the past I've recommended the Gyration cordless suite, which
includes an RF keyboard & mouse (retail USD $90-$100).  Advertised range is
25ft; I get pretty close to that.  The mouse can be used as a regular
optical mouse on any surface, but it's also got a gyroscope inside so it can
be used in mid-air, which is very cool when you're sitting on the couch.

Unfortunately, I've had some problems with the keyboard.  Shortly after I
got it, it started failing intermittently, until finally it stopped working
altogether.  After trading emails for a while with Gyration, they finally
seemed convinced that no, I wasn't stupid and the keyboard really wasn't
working.  They gave me an RMA number, but I had to pay to ship it back to
them (they paid return shipping).  It was a repair, not a replacement.  When
I got the unit back, all was fine for a while until I started having the
same intermittent problem with the keyboard.  Now it's completely dead
again, and they've offered to repair it again.  This time I'm holding out
for a replacement and no shipping costs.  We'll see.

I wish I could recommend this unreservedly, since when it works it's really
great, and it 'just works' like a regular USB keyboard & mouse under Linux.
The keyboard is small and easily fits in your lap, and the fact that it is
RF means direct line of sight is not required and the range is greater than
most IR products.  Here's hoping Gyration does the right thing.

-JAC