[mythtv-users] pcHDTV and HDTV

Brandon Beattie bbeattie-maillist at linkexplorer.com
Tue Aug 26 12:44:34 EDT 2003

I have a card, but I'm also the one who wrote the basic support so I'm
biast. ;-)  You can watch HDTV, change channels, seek backwards (Forward
may have a bug that I'm checking into).  The main problem we're facing
is you have to use an NTSC TV program guide for HDTV, and shows do not
always match from NTSC to ATSC/HDTV.  Once a grabtv for hdtv is written
to parse html on titantv.com and fill a myth database with information I
consider that most of the final goal.  Fixing bugs and handling no/poor
ATSC signals is another feature.  But it does work.

For hardware, I don't like hardware decoding as you can't do video
overlay for OSD.  You will need about a 2.4Ghz+ system to be safe
(Although 1.8Ghz is enough to just play a HD stream).  If you use
hardware decoding a 1.2-1.4 ghz should be fine.  The performance needs
to be improved in MythTV.  Another issue at times (How myth does it's
scaling I believe).

--Brandon