[mythtv-users] Remote Frontend Setup Documentation?

Albert Santoni GameGod at sympatico.ca
Tue Aug 26 13:22:23 EDT 2003

Hello,

I just finished setting up a remote frontend on MEPIS Linux.
(http://www.mepis.org)
I think the documentation should be a little clearer, and have a specific
sub-section dedicated to it.

Here's some important information that the docs didn't make extremely clear:
- You do NOT need MySQL installed on your remote frontend, if you just wish
to use TV.
- You do NOT need XMLTV installed on your remote frontend.
- Other than the above two dependencies, the MythTV compilation procedure is
the same as when you're setting up both a backend and a frontend.
- Once MythTV is compiled and installed, you must change your
/usr/local/share/mysql.txt file's "DBHostName" field to point to your
(master)backend's IP address.
- MAKE SURE YOUR FIREWALL IS DISABLED on both your frontend and backend
machines. At the very least, make sure the MySQL (port 3306) and mythbackend
ports are open. Some distributions come with firewalls installed and
running, without even telling you (*cough* MEPIS *cough*).
- You do NOT need to run the MythTV setup program (mythsrc/setup/setup) on
your frontend machine.

Troubleshooting:
- If the mythtv setup program, mythfrontend, or mythbackend don't run on
your frontend, try telnetting to the MySQL port from your frontend machine.
($ telnet [backendIP] 3306) If you get any characters back at all, then you
can connect to the MySQL server, and it could be a internal MySQL
permissions/access problem.
To troubleshoot this issue further, see the bottom of the page at
(Try this:
    $ mysql -u root mythconverg
    mysql> grant all on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"%" identified by "mythtv";
)

I'm all out of ideas. If anyone else wants to share troubleshooting or setup
information for setting up a dedicated front end, then please send them to
the list.
When this thread dies off, I'll send the result of it to Robert Kulagowski,
and hope he'll add the relevant information to the documentation (or if he
sees this thread, he can do it himself.)
:)

Thanks,

Albert Santoni