[mythtv-users] making mythtv "forget" about channels

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Tue Aug 26 02:21:12 EDT 2003

Roy Hooper wrote:
> I have a number of foreign language channels that I wish to completely
> make MythTV forget exist as far as scheduling programs, TV surfing, etc.
>
> What is the reccomended method?
>
> Roy

I'm not an expert, but place a "not " in front of the channel to keep it
from coming back in your xmltv config files (~/.xmltv/ if you ever run
manually, and ~/.mythtv/ when using mythfilldatabase).  This will keep
them from coming back later.

Then, you needed to do a little SQL and remove all references to those
channels already in your database.  Try this:

Start the mysql client with "mysql -umythtv -ppassword"  (I think
password defaulted to mythtv, not sure)

Now, the rest is from within the mysql client.

Switch to the myth database with "use mythconverg;"

Display your channels with "select * from channels;" and find the chanid
for the ones you want to remove.  Write them down so you don't forget.

Be careful here, but do a "delete from channel where chanid=xxxx".
Obviously, you need to plug in the chanid from above.  Repeat for each
different id.

Display your programs with "select * from program;"

Be careful here, but do a "delete from program where chanid=xxxx".
Obviously, you need to plug in the chanid from above.  Repeat for each
different id.

Your all finished!

Good luck...