[mythtv-users] Re: KnoppMyth Release 2

Cecil Watson cwatson at linkline.com
Mon Aug 25 12:46:26 EDT 2003

Hello,

mpgordon at comcast.net wrote:

>I have a couple of questions:
>
>This install CD is available to install MythTV on my system.

Yes! :)

>Is this install CD use only for a clean system? (No OS?)

Yes and no.  You can install it on a clean system.  Or you can install
in on a seperate partition(instructions not included), but I'm sure you
can figure it out.

>Does the CD only install Myth and not the OS?
>For example if I had Read Had 9.0 installed, will Red Hat 9.0 be install once
>the installation has been completed?

The CD installs OS and Myth.  I stripped Knoppix to the point where it
only included what I needed to get Myth running.  I kept most on the
internationalization(so this should work everywhere, which was part of
my goal) and all the drivers.  NFS, LVM, Apache, all the MythModules,
MPlayer,  XMAME, and the Nintendo emulator(sorry no ROMS ;)!  I've also
included Tux Racer and Frozen Bubbles.   I install GDM to automatically
log in as mythtv.  FVWM is the window manger, which will launch Myth on
initialization.  I you log out, something dies and kills X with it,
you'll automatically be logged back in 30 secs later.

>Does the CD install source and development tools?

Some development tools were installed as needed.  I have no source on
the CD, I wanted to keep the CD as small as possible and as fully
functional as possible.

>Could the README or some source of information describing what takes place when
>the install CD is used be posted for reference.

During the install process Knoppix(Debian) is installed on your
computer.  Along with the afore mentioned packages(well more that the
afore mentioned, but you get the idea).  Near the end of the
installation, you'll see some errors.  The errors are a result of the
original knoppix-install script attempt to place some files that I
removed(gotta clean that up), not to worry it related to KDE, etc.  I've
commented every change that I made in the install script.

>Thanks,
>Mike G.

You're welcome,
Cecil