[mythtv-users] Black Video on Watch TV

Kevin Stone kevin at pitchpole.net
Fri Aug 22 13:19:32 EDT 2003

Like this?

Opening OSS audio device '/dev/dsp'.
player: /dev/dsp: error setting audio output device to
48000kHz/16bits/2channel

Im thinking its time to stop trying to use the onboard sound and go get a
real soundcard.

Currently

  VIAŽ VT8235 Chipset
  AC97 audio controller.

Thanks for the help
Kevin

> Usually if you are having sound card issues, mythtv will give you a
> black screen and be unresponsive when you watch TV, this has happened to
> me twice. TO be sure that this is the problem, try to watch TV in mythtv
> and then when the screen turns black press ALT TAB and go and check the
> terminal where you ran the frontend from. It should be giving you a lot
> of errors, such as "can't open /dev/dsp" or something to that effect.
> You should then scroll up in the terminal to where it started to give
> you the errors and then you should see that it says "can't open sond
> device" or something like that. Hope that helps.
> Colin
> On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 09:31, Kevin Stone wrote:
>> Myth .11
>> PVR 250
>> Redhat 9.0
>>
>> Launching Watch TV I get a blank screen that is unresponive to any of
>> the
>> conntrols defined in keys.txt including <ctl><esc>.
>>
>> I can capture video with cat /dev/video0 and display with mplayer no
>> sound
>> at the moment but I dont believe that would cause my problem.
>>
>> Im new to this and have been reading the docs but would appreciate
>> any info that points me in the right direction
>>

>> [root at theater kstone]# /usr/lib/ivtv/test_ioctl -a
>> ioctl: IVTV_IOC_G_CODEC
>> Codec parameters
>> aspect      : 2
>> audio       : 0x00e9
>> bframes     : 3
>> bitrate_mode: 0
>> bitrate     : 8000000
>> bitrate_peak: 16000000
>> dnr_mode    : 0
>> dnr_spatial : 0
>> dnr_temporal: 0
>> dnr_type    : 0
>> framerate   : 0
>> framespergop: 15
>> gop_closure : 0
>> pulldown    : 0
>> stream_type : 0
>> ioctl: VIDIOC_G_FMT
>>         Type   : Video Capture
>>         Width  : 480
>>         Height : 480
>> ioctl: VIDIOC_QUERYCAP
>>         Driver name   : ivtv
>>         Card type     : Vanilla iTVC15 card
>>         Bus info      : 0
>>         Driver version: 1
>>         Capabilities  : 0x01030001
>> ioctl: VIDIOC_ENUMINPUT
>>         Name    : Composite 0
>>         Type    : 0x00000002
>>         Audioset: 0x00000001
>>         Tuner   : 0x00000000
>>         Standard: 0x            3000 ( NTSC )
>>         Status  : 0
>>         Name    : Composite 1
>>         Type    : 0x00000002
>>         Audioset: 0x00000001
>>         Tuner   : 0x00000000
>>         Standard: 0x            3000 ( NTSC )
>>         Status  : 0
>>         Name    : Composite 2
>>         Type    : 0x00000002
>>         Audioset: 0x00000001
>>         Tuner   : 0x00000000
> [...]

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who can count in binary
and those who can't.