[mythtv-users] Re: Has anyone setup v4l2 succesfully?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Aug 21 16:11:44 EDT 2003

On Thursday, Colin Armstrong wrote:

> The reason I thought--no, still think--that the ATrpms kernel did not
> work well on my machine is bcause of the exact flaw that you pointed
> out. Apt-get. I did try booting into another kernel and voila it worked
> like a charm. I knew then that it was the ATrpms kernels fault.

Did you try rebooting w/the ATrpms kernel after that? I've seen
occasions where something with apt and/or the rpm database gets a bit
screwed up, and the easy fix is to restart. It is possible rebooting
w/the ATrpms kernel might have also cleared the problem. Did you try
that also? It just doesn't make sense that the kernel would cause apt
to cease functioning. (Or am I missing something, Axel?).

> Also, I
> checked for the .config file--but no--for me they were not there.

If you installed the ATrpms kernel package, then your .config file was
in /boot/. If you installed the kernel source package also, you had a
.config file in /usr/src/linux-2.4/configs/. Note that the files are
not named '.config', they are named more intuitively for their
respective kernels, and you have to copy them into /usr/src/linux-2.4/
and rename them .config. Trust me, they were there, unless you had a
corrupted download of the kernel that somehow still installed. (Not
likely).

> Listen, I do not think people using the Red Hat kernels or the ATrpms
> kernel is bad, it just so happenend that the ATrpms kernel did not work
> on my machine and for my purpose as well as a stock kernel did.

Just trying to figure out why, because none of the changes to the
ATrpms kernel versus the Red Hat stock kernels should have any impact
here.

> Also, I
> like the stuff that you can get using apt-get and Axel's website.
> That's
> how I installed mythtv. It was nice and easy and it worked.

Yes, it is. :)

> No big deal
> (at least to me) that the ATrpms one didn't work.

It is a big deal if it is going to affect others. Getting to the bottom
of the problem is helpful for the entire community. Repay Axel for the
work he's done putting ATrpms together by helping figure out if there
really is a problem with his kernels.

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE