[mythtv-users] Re:DVB cards that work in Linux with MythTV

Juha juhis at trinity.is-a-geek.com
Wed Aug 20 20:34:30 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 18:46, Kenneth Aafloy wrote:
> > Is it possible to watch TV with a budget card and do the decoding in
> > software, or is it just possible to record shows with budget cards?
>
> We do decoding of the mpeg2 stream in software (for now), so
> the budget cards will work fine.

This is good news to me. I'm not particulary interested in buying a
premium card (see below)

> NOTE: The budget cards are only capable of receiving FTA (Free To Air)
> channels (as far as I know), so you won't be able to receive premium
> services.

ATM, I'm not interested. But might be some day, don't know. Is this a
shortcoming in the linux-dvb driver or mythtv? Either way, I think
there's nothing fundamental preventing this in the future, afaik?

> One reason to buy a premium card would be to take advantage of the
> hardware decoder when that feature is implemented in MythTV.

With the 100+ euros (between premium and budget) you can get a processor
that does a hell of alot more than just decode mpeg2. Plus, since I
already have a good videocard (G400), I don't need the tv-out either. So
it's kind of hard for me to see why I'd want one.

> I, myself, have a Hauppauge Nexus DVB-S card with Premium Service
> working (Canal Digital Scandinavia).

This is very encouraging :)

Thanks to everybody for help and information

Juhis