[mythtv-users] Psuedo-Overscan for Asus Pundit

darco darco at deepdarc.com
Tue Aug 19 16:17:55 EDT 2003

After doing much more tweaking than should be necessary(And wasting
hours of time), I've come up with what I have determined to be as close
to overscan as I can get with the current drivers (ie: the 08-10-2003
build of the SIS drivers) on the Asus Pundit.

Here is my device section for my Pundit:

> Section "Device"
>     Identifier  "siscard"
>     Driver      "sis"
>     VendorName  "SiS"
>     BoardName   "SiS 315/650"
>     Option      "XvOnCRT2" "true"
>     Option      "ForceCRT2Type" "SVIDEO"
>     Option      "TVStandard"    "NTSC"
>     Option      "EnableSiSCtrl" "true"
>     Option      "SISTVEdgeEnhance"   "0" # 0 -- 15
>     Option      "SISTVAntiFlicker" "ADAPTIVE" # OFF, LOW, MED, HIGH,
> ADAPTIVE
>     Option      "SISTVSaturation"       "7" # 0 -- 15
>     Option      "SISTVCFilter"          "false"
>     Option      "SISTVYFILTER"          "0"
>     Option      "SISTVXScale"   "16"    # -16 -- 16
>     Option      "SISTVYScale"   "3"     # -4 -- 3
>     Option      "TVXPosOffset"  "-13"   # -32 -- 32
>     Option      "TVYPosOffset"  "-13"   # -32 -- 32
> EndSection

The trick here is the "SISTVXScale" and the "SISTVYScale". These
settings will expand the view window to their maximum extents, which is
*close* to actual overscaned video.

Unfortunately, even at it's maximum scaling values, you do not get a
full 480 discrete scan-lines. This means that you will NOT be able to
turn off de-interlacing and still have smooth video.

However, these settings will produce video out that is much closer to
what is actually being broadcast.

Also, another tip: If your brightness, contrast, hue, and color
adjustments are all set to -1 and don't work, you need to add the "v4l"
module to your XF86Config file! IE: Add the following line to your
"Module" section:

> 	Load "v4l"

I hope this helps out. If you are unsatisfied with the video output of
the Asus pundit, give these settings a shot. Just remember that YOU
MUST HAVE THE LATEST SIS DRIVERS INSTALLED. I'm serious! I'm using the
08-10-2003 drivers. The 08-07-2003 drivers (Just three days earlier)
don't work!!!

You can download the latest SIS drivers here:
http://www.winischhofer.net/

Enjoy.

--- darco
http://www.deepdarc.com/