[mythtv-users] My MythTV experience

Mon Aug 18 17:06:44 EDT 2003

>   The playback of the PVR-250 doesn't look too bad on a computer monitor,
> but my goal is not to run this on a computer. It seems the TV-out (S-Video)
> is the worst/weakest link in the chain. Just running the monitor next to the
> TV-out (both running at the same time) shows major differences. The colors
> on the TV are much darker, black objects blend into the background. Peoples
> faces are redish/orange. Very white background shows 'interlace' looking
> stripes. Video where flash bulbs go off is poor.

There may be a lot you can do to tune this, but the bottom line is that the quality of tv card's output is pretty poor.  Under windows most people get an ATI card at the very min, however, you will likely not make one of those work under Linux.

A lot of people report good quality with an external scan convertor attached to the VGA port (ie better than using the TV out on the G. card).  However, do make sure that you are using the s/video output, composite output is not good by design.  If you can get a scan convertor with component out (or RGB if you are in the UK) then your quality is likely to be even higher (or go the whole hog and buy a TV with VGA input...)

Hope that gives you a few things to try

Ed W