[mythtv-users] Debian, alsa - no sound with mythfrontend.

Greg Andrews greg at reliabledesigns.com
Tue Aug 19 06:34:00 EDT 2003

Hi,

I've been trying for a while to get sound working properly with my
setup. I have an onboard intel sound chip, which seems to be working fine.

Using xawtv, aplay /dev/dsp or /dev/dsp0 works fine, with the mentioned
delay that is supposed to happen. But when using mythfrontend, no sound
will come out through the system. I'm missing something, and it's
driving me up the wall.

I've had a look through the documentation, and the troubleshooting tips
for sound, but I'm no wiser.

Below is the output from the mythtv settings table, lsmod, and dmesg. If
anyone is able to shed some light or make some suggestions, I'd be very
grateful.

Regards,
Greg.

Here is the output from lsmod:
input                   3648   0  (autoclean)
tuner                  10280   1  (autoclean)
tvaudio                12836   0  (autoclean) (unused)
bttv                   68192   0
videodev                6176   3  [bttv]
i2c-algo-bit            7592   1  [bttv]
i2c-core               13572   0  [tuner tvaudio bttv i2c-algo-bit]
snd-seq-oss            29408   0  (unused)
snd-seq-midi-event      2984   0  [snd-seq-oss]
snd-seq                36496   2  [snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event]
snd-pcm-oss            39972   0
snd-mixer-oss          13592   0  [snd-pcm-oss]
snd-intel8x0           18212   0
snd-pcm                60836   0  [snd-pcm-oss snd-intel8x0]
snd-timer              14212   0  [snd-seq snd-pcm]
snd-ac97-codec         39752   0  [snd-intel8x0]
snd-page-alloc          5020   0  [snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm]
snd-mpu401-uart         3296   0  [snd-intel8x0]
snd-rawmidi            13312   0  [snd-mpu401-uart]
snd-seq-device          4192   0  [snd-seq-oss snd-seq snd-rawmidi]
snd                    30244   0  [snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event
snd-seq snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm snd-timer
snd-ac97-codec snd-mpu401-uart snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device]
soundcore               3940   5  [bttv snd]
8139too                15752   1
mii                     2432   0  [8139too]
af_packet              13640   0  (unused)
rtc                     6760   0  (autoclean)
ext2                   35360   2  (autoclean)
ext3                   64640   0  (autoclean)
jbd                    42148   0  (autoclean) [ext3]
ide-disk               12608   3  (autoclean)
ide-probe-mod           9840   0  (autoclean)
ide-mod               169336   3  (autoclean) [ide-disk ide-probe-mod]
unix                   15276  39  (autoclean)
myth:/etc#

And this is dmesg (snipped the relevant stuff):

intel8x0: clocking to 48000
i2c-core.o: i2c core module
i2c-algo-bit.o: i2c bit algorithm module
Linux video capture interface: v1.00
bttv: driver version 0.7.96 loaded
bttv: using 4 buffers with 2080k (8320k total) for capture
bttv: Host bridge is Intel Corp. 82815 815 Chipset Host Bridge and
Memory Controller Hub
bttv: Bt8xx card found (0).
PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 02:02.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 5 with 02:02.1
bttv0: Bt878 (rev 17) at 02:02.0, irq: 5, latency: 32, mmio: 0xde100000
bttv0: using: BT878(Prolink Pixelview PV-BT) [card=72,insmod option]
i2c-core.o: adapter bt848 #0 registered as adapter 0.
bttv0: using tuner=5
bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA7432 @ 0x8a... not found
tvaudio: TV audio decoder + audio/video mux driver
tvaudio: known chips:
tda9840,tda9873h,tda9874h/a,tda9850,tda9855,tea6300,tea6420,tda8425,pic16c54
(PV951)
i2c-core.o: driver generic i2c audio driver registered.
i2c-core.o: driver i2c TV tuner driver registered.
tuner: probing bt848 #0 i2c adapter [id=0x10005]
tuner: chip found @ 0xc2
bttv0: i2c attach [client=Philips PAL_BG (FI1216 and compa,ok]
i2c-core.o: client [Philips PAL_BG (FI1216 and compa] registered to
adapter [bt848 #0](pos. 0).
bttv0: registered device video0
bttv0: registered device vbi0
bttv0: registered device radio0
eth0: Setting 100mbps full-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner
ability 45e1.
bttv0: PLL: 28636363 => 35468950 ... ok

And the contents of the settings table in the mythdb:
---------------------------+--------------------+----------+
| value                     | data               | hostname |
+---------------------------+--------------------+----------+
| DBSchemaVer               | 1000               | NULL     |
| BackendServerIP           | 127.0.0.1          | myth     |
| BackendServerPort         | 6543               | myth     |
| BackendStatusPort         | 6544               | myth     |
| MasterServerIP            | 127.0.0.1          | NULL     |
| MasterServerPort          | 6543               | NULL     |
| RecordFilePrefix          | /var/video         | myth     |
| LiveBufferDir             | /var/cache/mythtv/ | myth     |
| BufferSize                | 2                  | myth     |
| MaxBufferFill             | 15                 | myth     |
| MaxTranscoders            | 0                  | myth     |
| TranscoderUseCutlist      | 0                  | NULL     |
| TVFormat                  | PAL                | NULL     |
| VbiFormat                 | None               | NULL     |
| FreqTable                 | newzealand         | NULL     |
| TimeOffset                |                    | NULL     |
| MasterBackendOverride     | 1                  | NULL     |
| Deinterlace               | 1                  | myth     |
| ReduceJitter              | 0                  | myth     |
| ExperimentalAVSync        | 0                  | myth     |
| PlaybackExitPrompt        | 0                  | myth     |
| EndOfRecordingExitPrompt  | 0                  | myth     |
| FixedAspectRatio          | 0                  | myth     |
| FastForwardAmount         | 30                 | myth     |
| RewindAmount              | 5                  | myth     |
| StickyKeys                | 0                  | myth     |
| ExactSeeking              | 0                  | myth     |
| JumpAmount                | 10                 | myth     |
| AutoCommercialFlag        | 1                  | NULL     |
| CommercialSkipMethod      | 1                  | NULL     |
| AutoCommercialSkip        | 0                  | myth     |
| VertScanPercentage        | 0                  | myth     |
| HorizScanPercentage       | 0                  | myth     |
| XScanDisplacement         | 0                  | myth     |
| YScanDisplacement         | 0                  | myth     |
| OSDTheme                  | blueosd            | myth     |
| OSDDisplayTime            | 3                  | myth     |
| OSDFont                   | FreeSans.ttf       | myth     |
| OSDCCFont                 | FreeMono.ttf       | myth     |
| DefaultCCMode             | 0                  | myth     |
| RecordPreRoll             | 0                  | myth     |
| RecordOverTime            | 0                  | myth     |
| PlayBoxOrdering           | 1                  | myth     |
| ChannelOrdering           | channum + 0        | myth     |
| DisplayChanNum            | 0                  | myth     |
| GeneratePreviewPixmaps    | 1                  | myth     |
| PlaybackPreview           | 0                  | myth     |
| EPGFillType               | 6                  | myth     |
| EPGScrollType             | 1                  | myth     |
| EPGShowChannelIcon        | 1                  | myth     |
| chanPerPage               | 5                  | myth     |
| timePerPage               | 4                  | myth     |
| UnknownTitle              | Unknown            | myth     |
| UnknownCategory           | Unknown            | myth     |
| DefaultTVChannel          | 3                  | myth     |
| Theme                     | blue               | myth     |
| RandomTheme               | 0                  | myth     |
| XineramaScreen            | 0                  | myth     |
| GuiWidth                  | 0                  | myth     |
| GuiHeight                 | 0                  | myth     |
| GuiOffsetX                | 0                  | myth     |
| GuiOffsetY                | 0                  | myth     |
| RunFrontendInWindow       | 0                  | myth     |
| Language                  | EN                 | myth     |
| DateFormat                | ddd MMM d          | myth     |
| ShortDateFormat           | M/d                | myth     |
| TimeFormat                | h:mm AP            | myth     |
| QtFontSmall               | 12                 | myth     |
| QtFontMedium              | 16                 | myth     |
| QtFontBig                 | 25                 | myth     |
| PlayBoxTransparency       | 1                  | myth     |
| PlayBoxShading            | 0                  | myth     |
| AudioOutputDevice         | /dev/dsp0          | myth     |
| AggressiveSoundcardBuffer | 0                  | myth     |
| MythControlsVolume        | 1                  | myth     |
| MixerDevice               | /dev/mixer         | myth     |
| MixerControl              | PCM                | myth     |
| MasterMixerVolume         | 90                 | myth     |
| PCMMixerVolume            | 90                 | myth     |
| AllowQuitShutdown         | 4                  | myth     |
| HaltCommand               | halt               | myth     |
| RecordChanged             | no                 | NULL     |