[mythtv-users] Questions about 'Backend stuffed up in RequestRingBufferBlock' er ror on Mandrake

David.Ventimiglia at wellsfargo.com David.Ventimiglia at wellsfargo.com
Fri Aug 15 10:48:31 EDT 2003

Hello,

I get the dreaded 'Backend stuffed up in RequestRingBufferBlock' error with
mythtv-0.10 on an HP Vectra VLi8 with Mandrake Linux 9.1, using the
Hauppauge WinTV PVR 350 card and the ivtv driver 0.12.  HOWEVER, I only just
set it up this morning and don't yet have the 350 card plugged into a source
(cable's in the living room, I set up the MythTV box in a back room...will
move it tonight...can't do it now, as I'm at work).

1. So, am I premature in worrying that I've got the dreaded "ASUS
motherboard with VIA chipset doesn't work with ivtv" problem?  Is the
"RequestRingBufferBlock" error to be expected when there's no video signal?
I ask because that seems implied by this message from the mythtv-users list:

"Mythbackend stuffs up if no video signal is present"
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=61296;search_st
ring=Backend%20stuffed%20up%20in%20RequestRingBufferBlock;guest=1015960&t=se
arch_engine#61296

2. If I DO have the dreaded VIA chipset motherboard (will have to go at it
with a screwdriver tonight), is there ANY hope of getting mythtv to fly, or
will I have to splurge for another motherboard?

Thanks!
Cheers,
David

P.S.  Ignoring for the moment the fact that it doesn't yet work on my
questionable rig, MythTV looks fantastic.  Great work!

David A. Ventimiglia
DSSG
Wells Fargo Bank
415-222-6707