[mythtv-users] Corrupt audio with i8x0 (sis7012)

Frank Martelli frank at foodsavvy.com
Thu Aug 14 10:05:12 EDT 2003

Hello all,

I am trying to use on-board sis7012 audio with Mythtv (the sis7012 is a
realtek AC97 / i8x0-clone), but am having a strange problem.  MythTV seems
to be working EXCEPT:

When I 'watch TV' the audio is only good for ~2 seconds
-- it then begins to 'echo,' where the first two seconds of audio are
apparent in the loop (overlayed with new audio) until the audio stream
degrades into unintelligible 'ringing'.

If I actually record a program, I can then watch my recording without
problem.  However, if I begin to playback a recording in-progress, the
playback is fine until I hit the point where (real-time) I began the
playback (i.e., the recording becomes corrupt when I start using the audio
for output).

Has anyone seen this problem before?  I am using the latest ALSA (0.9.6)
and MythTV (0.10) versions under the 2.4.18 kernel.  Does this simply mean
that my on-board audio is too feeble for MythTV?  Is this a general
problem with the sis7012 soundcard?  Or do I just have some mixer setting
all-wrong?

Thanks!

-Frank