[mythtv-users] Channel Change Problem/Slow Video

Andrew De Ponte cyphactor at socal.rr.com
Wed Aug 13 22:07:29 EDT 2003

Here is the problem.

I downloaded the RPMs for 0.10 and installed them and configured them on
AMD Athlon XP 2400+ box with the PVR 250 card, and a GForce 4 FX with TV
out. The nic and the sound card are built in. I built a new kernel which
I have done a large number of times and compiled and installed the
drivers for the PVR 250 (Latest CVS checkout). The drivers for the PVR
250 work great. I can cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg and have left it for
about an hour. The result is a nice clear highest res (720,480) picture
playing perfectley smoot with no noticable artifacts. Now when I run
myth tv in Watch Live TV mode everything looks good. It plays from the
card great, everything looks great. I can do things, like puase, etc.
The problem occurs when I change the channel. When I change the channel
up or down, it changes the channel however it looks and sounds like its
being played back in super slow motion. I watched the logs to see as
much as I could what was happending with the PVR 250 driver and noticed
that its video mode was being reset to a width of 480 every time I
select Watch Live TV however that was not happening when I would change
channels. So I wrote an external channel changer for the PVR 250 that
works with MythTV and also allows for setting and changing PVR 250
drivers when the channel is changed. After further testing I have ruled
out the possibility that it is caused by the PVR 250 driver. I can
change the channel while cating /dev/video0 to a file and it never gets
slow and my efforts for reseting driver options didn't have any good
effect. So I have now determined that the problem has to be with
something that MythTV is doing. Like maybe it is not starting a new
recording and trying to continue the old one and MythTV doesn't like
that. I don't know. I am asking for assistance as to why this is slow
and maybe a solution to fix it. If I change channels it enters super
slow mo and then I can go back to the menu, once in the menu I can go
back to Watch Live TV mode and it works fine on that channel. So I have
determined that when I select Watch Live TV it does something that does
not occur when changing channels within that mode that needs to be
occuring for this to work properly. People please help me. This is the
only thing holding my MythBox back from being perfect as of yet. It is
very annoying every time you change the channel to have to exit TV mode
and go back into it. It takes forever!! Please help!

-Andrew