[mythtv-users] Help me find a winner...stinking Kt133

Dennis Lou dlou99 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 13 00:46:18 EDT 2003

From: Edmund Wong <ed at guyline.com.hk>
>If it's locked at 48khz, it's fine for playing
>MythTV recordings but
>would potentially cause problems with some of
>the other modules. Any
>comments on the quality of the line-in? I'm
>planning a MythTV box around
>a similar board and I would flip the functions
>of the two if it came
>down to it, personally. Unless, of course, if
>the onboard sound can be
>wrangled into supporting other sampling rates.
>
>Also, has anybody run the onboard sound in
full-duplex?

I'm running Myth on a K7S5A Pro and a
friend is running Myth on a non-Pro.  Both of us
have no sound related problems with
MythVideo and MythMusic (he uses MythMusic to listen
to 24Kbps/8Khz talk-radio shows).  Since we are both
able to pause live-TV and watch a show while
recording another, that would imply full-duplex.

The Pro has bigger capacitors which may help clean
up the rails and by extension, the sound quality.

We couldn't get the DHCP client to work in Woody
(I heard it's fixed in later versions of the
driver) but we both run MythWeb and dynamic IP
would mess up our bookmarks anyway so we don't use
it.

BTW, the non-Pro is on clearance at the Campbell
Frys store for $19.  They were running a $59
special for a boxed XP1800 and K7S5A Pro combo but
the sale ended today.

I really like the K7S5A Pro for this application.
No fans mean silent operation and the single chip
north/south bridge and integrated peripherals
probably means less power dissipation.  BTSC audio
isn't exatly the cleanest source and I MythTV
playback is always lossy if you have MP3 turned on.
As they say, "garbage in, garbage out" so it
probably doesn't make sense to use "golden ear"
hardware.  The sound system doesn't add any
noticable noise nor take away any
noticeable quality and that's good enough for me.

Back to the original question, you might have to
ditch the PC133 SDRAM and get some DDR (probably
depending on what resolution you capture and
how much L2 cache is on your CPU).

-Dennis