[mythtv-users] MythTV/HTPC Linux Distribution?

Robert Quattlebaum darco at voria.net
Tue Aug 12 22:33:44 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, August 12, 2003, at 08:34  PM, jas wrote:

> It could as you mention use ZeroConf/Rendevouz to automatically
> aggregate tuner(and other) resources so that if the local one is busy
> it could request a program be recored on another machine and made
> available or transfered.....
> You might even be able to retroactively be able to record a
> program....You find a program in the listing that you like, but the it
> was yesterday and the machine could ask if any of the other machines
> did record it and if it did request a copy to be transferred....

Well, I was kinda digressing a bit at the end of that email. That would
have to be a MythTV-specific feature, and doesn't really have much to
do with making a distro.  Nonetheless cool stuff indeed. I only have
one box though, so I doubt that I would be inclined to implement that
and submit a patch, at least until I am making some more money. :)

It is really easy to set up Apple's mDNSResponder for advertising the
PVR's web server though.

> Personally I'd prefer such a solution to be Debian based so that I can
> use apt-get to keep things nice and up to date.

I've never used Debian. Updating over the network is very convenient,
and fumbling with RPMS and all their dependencies can really be a pain
in the ass.

I am not really sure what is the best way to tackle that issue. I'm
tempted to lean toward an automated LFS build, but that wouldn't be
very flexible without some sort of package management.

>  I also like the distro being dedicated to GLP and non comercial

Making a proprietary distro full of open-source projects wouldn't be
very, um, productive. Even if I wanted to go proprietary (and I don't),
I don't think there is any way around releasing such a distro under the
GPL.

> just my 2 cents worth. If I can do anything I'd like to help.

I'm just testing the waters, to see if there are enough other people in
the same boat. My sister wants me to build her one of these things, and
I'm not inclined to do so unless I can be sure that it's not going to
magically stop working the next time zap2it changes their site layout.
I just want there to be an easy, standardized, fool-proof way to
maintain a MythTV box. My sister has never touched a command line.

--- darco
http://www.deepdarc.com/