[mythtv-users] Re: Help me find a winner...stinking Kt133

Duncan Sargeant dunc-mythtv at rcpt.to
Wed Aug 13 14:48:51 EDT 2003

Edmund Wong wrote on Wed August 13, at 11:31 +0800:
> > > The onboard sound might not be the greatest, however. It's an AC97 codec
> > > based around the Realtek 9738 chip. Not sure how good the line-in quality
> > > is on it. Anybody want to chime in here?
>
> Wait, Realtek? I typed that? I must be on crack or something. I meant
> C-Media.

Ahhh, I remember mine is a SIS7012 now.  Could be different.

> If it's locked at 48khz, it's fine for playing MythTV recordings but
> would potentially cause problems with some of the other modules. Any
> comments on the quality of the line-in? I'm planning a MythTV box around
> a similar board and I would flip the functions of the two if it came
> down to it, personally. Unless, of course, if the onboard sound can be
> wrangled into supporting other sampling rates.
>
> Also, has anybody run the onboard sound in full-duplex?

I can only speak about mine (SIS7012, not the "Pro" mobo), but I checked
out the sampling issue - the chipset supports a variable sample rate,
but the ECS hardware uses a fixed frequency oscillator :-/.  As for
full-duplex - my attempts to record and playback simultaneously resulted
in lockup from memory.  I guess it /may/ have been a driver issue.  You
could be *cough* lucky.

Line-in quality was fine.

Mythmusic works fine outputting to the same sound card.

,dunc