[mythtv-users] Re: Help me find a winner...stinking Kt133

Edmund Wong ed at guyline.com.hk
Wed Aug 13 12:31:14 EDT 2003

> > The onboard sound might not be the greatest, however. It's an AC97 codec
> > based around the Realtek 9738 chip. Not sure how good the line-in quality
> > is on it. Anybody want to chime in here?

Wait, Realtek? I typed that? I must be on crack or something. I meant
C-Media.

> The on-board sound is simplex, locked at 48kHz, distorts if you have
> the volume at > 95%, and too quiet to drive speakers directly. But
> other than that, it plays sound great! :-) No probs with the quality.
>
> I bought a second sound card to handle line-in, and use the on-board
> for line out. In a stroke of bad luck, the 5.1 CMI-based soundcard I
> bought uses the line-in control for recording volume, so I can't just
> that sound card for mythtv :-(

If it's locked at 48khz, it's fine for playing MythTV recordings but
would potentially cause problems with some of the other modules. Any
comments on the quality of the line-in? I'm planning a MythTV box around
a similar board and I would flip the functions of the two if it came
down to it, personally. Unless, of course, if the onboard sound can be
wrangled into supporting other sampling rates.

Also, has anybody run the onboard sound in full-duplex?

- ED.