[mythtv-users] Asus Pundit question

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Tue Aug 12 16:32:18 EDT 2003

> Is it pretty quiet? wife won't tollerate a loud PC in the TV room

As everyone else has said, yes, it's quiet.  When not running under a
load, it's the quietest case I've ever run into (I work for a systems
builder, we've dealt with pretty much every popular case out there).
Make sure you use a fluid-bearing hard drive (preferably a seagate
7200.7 or barracuda IV - they seem to be quieter than WD).  Under load
(encoding an hour long movie with hefty mpeg4 options on my 2.4Ghz p4),
it makes a little noise, but it's still quieter than a shuttle and any
"normal" desktop system under no load.  Nothing I can hear over the hum
of my fridge in the next room.

And as has also been said, the bright blue HD LED on the front is far
worse than the noise.  My wife has often mistaken the blue blink in our
living room at night for a police car parked nearby outside.  But that's
easy enough to fix with a piece of tape (or in my case, a blanket or a
cupboard door).

-Chris