[mythtv-users] Re: Re: commercial skip/flagging - how well does it

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Tue Aug 12 18:57:01 EDT 2003

> > The blank-frame detection code that is used during the auto-flagging thread
> > does not have a max.  It just keeps checking for what it thinks are
> > commercials and flags all of them.  The on-the-fly blank frame detection
> > code has a 300 second limit on the commercial length.
>
> I must admit I'm confused about the differences.  I couldn't find any
> docs, so I was just blindly playing with the settings.  Just read
> the source now, which makes things a bit clearer.

I hate writing docs. :)

> Is there a way to do the on-the-fly stuff without automatically
> skipping?

Auto-skipping is disabled if you don't use the auto-flagging option
in current CVS.  The on-the-fly detection is nowhere near as accurate
as the auto-flagging thread and I hasn't been worked on in quite a while.
If you are using software-encoding, then blank frames are always detected
at record-time whether you have auto-flagging turned on or off.  When you
turn on auto-flagging, the code will fire off a commercial flagging thread
after a recording finishes.  This code is better than the detection done
at record-time and is necessary for good detection when using hardware
encoders.

--

Chris