[mythtv-users] Memory Utilization

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Tue Aug 12 11:57:55 EDT 2003

At 12:40 PM 8/12/2003 -0500, Scott Blomfield wrote:
[...]
>I didn't think about the fact that KDE is running in the background.  I
>have eliminated some of the extra services such as nfsd and smb.
>
>Mandrake 9.1
>P4 1.6ghz
>256mb
>120gb maxtor drive for storage.
>seperate 3gb drive for system.
>dss reciever controlled via serial link.
>mysql
>apache2
>
>Now that I look at it, running just KDE, and doing nothing, 198MB is
>being used!

By what standard? "top" reports only total use, and that measure will
invariably creep up to all available RAM (due to kernel buffering and
caching) over time. Better is to run "free" and look at the second line --
usage minus buffer/cache -- to see how much RAM is "really" used by the
system. (I didn't mention this before because it should not affect swap use
-- swap should be used only when there really is too little RAM available
for all the current processes -- and your original problem involved use of
swap.)

>sheesh.
>I rebooted, minus a couple extra services, and 66MB was in use doing
>nothing.
>Started up mythbackend and kicked off a recording, and I'm at 125MB in
>use.

These numbers are quire reasonable.

>I think I just need to put mythfrontend with a lightweight window
>manager.
>
>Does MYTH need a window manager at all?  On my karkomp project, it was
>just fine running a single X application without the window manager...

I've never tried running Myth without a WM, but in principle it should
work. I normally run it using blackbox, one of the really lightweight WMs
... handier than no WM if you need, say, an xterm for troubleshooting.
[old stuff deleted]

BTW, you clarified "hiccup" ... though "video and audio playback do a sort
of crappy pause, then resume" is itself a bit lacking in precision ... but
not "every so often". Once a second? Once a minute? Once an hour? And how
long is the "crappy pause" itself?